There are many benefits to using a garden bed to grow your plants. Some of the benefits include:
- Less weeds
- Better water retention
- Better drainage in areas with clay soil
- You have control over the health of your soil
- It helps keep pests out of your plants
Tools and materials you need:
- Raised garden bed kit
- Gardening tools
- Landscape fabric
You can purchase a raised garden bed kit from any home hardware store or online. The great thing about this is it comes with all the materials you need, all you have to do is assemble it. If you need to modify the size a bit, it is much less work than starting from scratch. They can come in a variety of sizes so you can find one that is right for your garden.
Steps to building your garden bed
- Prepare the space where the gardening bed will go.
- Start building the garden bed following the instructions and place it in the location you want it to go in your garden.
- Take your pieces of wood and mallet them to the connecting corner pieces, and then drill them in to secure it.
- Add your landscape fabric along the bottom of the garden bed to help protect against pests and weeds growing in your garden.
- Once it is assembled, you can prepare your soil and add it to the garden bed and start adding your plants, and growing them as usual.
Tips while building your garden bed
- Make sure the ground is smooth and level before building a garden bed.
- Choose a sunny spot where your plants are able to get a good amount of sunlight.
- Don’t worry about the condition of the soil, as you will be adding your own soil to the garden bed.
What to plant in your raised garden bed:
Herbs and vegetables are perfect to plant in your garden bed. You can even choose a theme and grow all the vegetables and herbs you need for a meal. Keep in mind which plants are best companion planted next to each other. It is just important that you plant vegetables that need the same amount of sunlight and water together as they will be sharing a garden bed.