More and more people are choosing to live in an apartment over a house, especially if you are living in a big city. Many people believe that just because you live in an apartment means that you can’t grow a garden because you don’t have a backyard. Those who live in an apartment, or those who simply don’t have the space, these vegetable gardening tips are perfect for you.
What vegetables can I grow on my balcony?
- Tomatoes are a great vegetable to grow on a balcony. You can grow cherry tomato varieties like ‘Tiny Tim’ which do well in containers and as long as your balcony can get enough sunlight, this plant will do really well.
- Peppers are also a very good vegetable to grow in a container. Like tomatoes they do well in a container, as long as you have full sun and fertilized soil.
- Herbs, like basil, thyme and parsley are great to grow on your balcony. Herbs don’t require much room to grow which makes them perfect for balcony gardening.
- Radishes are quick growing vegetables and don’t require that much room to grow.
Tips for balcony gardening
- Make sure your vegetables are able to get lots of full sunlight. Most of these vegetables require at least 6 hours of sunlight a day
- Use a good vegetable potting soil and use a good organic fertilizer
- Use a container that is able to have room for the vegetables to grow. Not using a large enough container for the plant, will not let the root system develop properly.
- Most vegetables need lots of water, so make sure your vegetables have a consistent water source.
There are a wide variety of vegetables that are perfect for balcony gardening. Almost any vegetable that can grow in a backyard can grow on a balcony, as long as you get lots of sunlight, and good soil.