If you live in a warm climate area, or you are trying to be more conscious of your water usage, but you still want to maintain a beautiful garden these gardening tips are perfect for you. Not everyone is able to access litres of water just to take care of their garden. While some may say it is impossible to grow and look after a garden with little or no water, there are many plants that actually prefer to not be watered often.
You may not realize it but having access to an unlimited clean water supply is a privilege. There are many countries around the world that either have limited access to clean water or are required to restrict their water usage because they are prone to droughts. This includes parts of the United States, South Africa, and South American and Middle Eastern countries. As well, adding some plants that require less water in your garden is a great way to be more environmentally friendly and help lower your water bill.
What are the best plants for hot climates?
There are many plants that can go for long periods of time without being watered that are perfect for a hot climate garden.
- Cacti: This plant is very drought tolerant, it needs lots and lots of full sunlight and needs very little water.
- Lavender: Lavender is originally found in the dry and hot Mediterranean, therefore this plant is great for those who live in hot climates. This plant can also add a lot of color to your garden. Lavender can also be infused in a few of our favorite lavender baking recipes.
- Aloe plants: There are many species of aloe, and many of them thrive in hot weather with very little care, here’s our guide to thriving aloe vera plants! These plants are not only drought tolerant but they can also survive through the winter. Aloe can also be harvested and applied in a variety of hair and skin care, beauty and health uses.
- Artichokes: Artichokes not only taste delicious but they also turn into a beautiful flower, if they are not harvested. This plant is very low maintenance, and is drought tolerant as it is originally found in the Mediterranean.
- Geranium: These flowers come in a variety of colors and species, and are great to brighten up your garden. They are also very resistant and can survive hot temperatures and can go a long time without being watered.
These five plants are perfect to grow in your garden if you have a limited supply of water, or no water for your garden. They are all drought tolerant and can go a while without water and can survive the hot heats. These plants will brighten up your garden, by adding lots of color and texture. So just because you don’t have access to lots of water doesn’t mean you still can’t have a beautiful garden.