There are so many beauty hacks that involve plants from your garden. It is a great way to save money on store bought products as they can get very expensive. It is also a more natural alternative for beauty items that contain different chemicals and bad ingredients. Below you will learn how to make some homemade beauty products, with ingredients that come right from your garden!
- Mason jar
- Rose petals
- Boiling water
- Cheese cloth
- Witch hazel
- Clean your mason jar really well before you start.
- Add the rose petals into the mason jar and slowly pour in the boiling water.
- Mix the rose petals in the mason jar and then close the lid and let it sit.
- Strain the rose water through the cheese cloth.
- Then add some witch hazel, to create a face toner.
- To use, you want to add a little bit to a cotton ball and dab on your face.
Lavender hand scrub
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ of a lemon
- ¼ cup of lavender
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine the brown sugar, white sugar, honey, and coconut oil in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add in the lemon juice and lavender, and stir the mixture.
- Add to a sterilised jar and store in a cool location away from direct heat.
- To use the scrub, wet your hands and scoop out some of the scrub and rub your hands together. Focus on the areas of your hands that are rough.
- Moisturise hands after scrubbing.
Avocado hair mask
- 1 avocado
- ⅓ cup of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- Mash avocado until smooth.
- Mix in melted coconut oil.
- Add in the honey and stir to combine.
- To use, apply the mask to your hair and scalp and leave it in for about 30 minutes and then wash your hair as normal.
Colorful bath bombs
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 100% pure witch hazelspray bottle
- Metal mold to shape your bath bomb
- 20 drops of pure essential oils (Peppermint oil, lavender oil, rosemary oil etc.)
- To add color to the bath bomb you can use plants from your garden (Green= Spirulina, Yellow= Turmeric, Blue= Blueberry, Red= Beets)
- In a large bowl, combine the baking soda and citric acid and mix well.
- Add a ½ teaspoon of coloring and mix well. Add more coloring if you want a deeper color, but keep in mind that too much coloring will leave a ring in your tub, so go easy.
- Add 20 drops of essential oils and mix well.
- Using a spray bottle filled with witch hazel, spray the entire surface of the powder mix and mix with your hands. Keep spraying and mixing rapidly until the mixture holds together when scrunched with your hand (think of making snowballs).
- Working quickly, firmly press mixture into the DIY bath bombs molds.
- Gently tap the mold so that the bath bomb releases and carefully lay on a towel or tray to dry.
- Let the DIY bath bombs dry for an hour or until they are firm and won’t fall apart.
- To use, add it into your bath once the tub is full and watch it dissolve in the water and it will make your baths much more soothing.
These 4 beauty recipes are very easy to make at home, and are a great alternative to store bought beauty products! For more DIY garden beauty treatments, click here.
As an Amazon Associate, gardenstead may earn from qualifying purchases.