I love being outside and I enjoy taking my dogs for walks everyday. I find that just being outside allows me to relax and step away from my other day to day responsibilities. Especially now, during the pandemic I have found that I have to make a more conscious effort to go outside otherwise it won’t happen. This past year many of us including myself have been working from home, and making the time to go outside has been really refreshing.
Why is being outside good for your mental health?
Being outside for 60-90 minutes a day can greatly improve your mental health. Whenever I am in a bad mood, going for a walk can brighten my mood and make me feel better.
As a society we spend so much time online, and because of the pandemic many schools and workplaces have moved online as well. Taking time out of your day to step away from our technology and enjoy nature is very beneficial to our mental health.
What are the benefits of going outside?
- Reduces feelings of stress, anger and depression
- Improves your physical health
- Improves your mood
- Helps you feel more relaxed
- Helps improve your memory
- Boosts creativity
What can I do outside?
- I personally enjoy going for a walk, either to the park with my dogs or going for a walk with my family.
- Going for a bike ride is not only a great form of transportation and is better for the environment, than using your car, but it is really fun to go on bike rides with your friends.
- Spending time in your garden, and just being outside with nature.
- Set up a game of sports, like tennis, golf or soccer
- If you have a backyard or space or your balcony or deck, I love bringing a yoga mat outside and practicing yoga.
- Go for a hike, it is very peaceful and is a great workout.
These activities are great for anyone of any age to participate in. It is important for everyone to spend time outside and there are activities for everyone to do!